Author Topic: Pepper Spray

tisha

Pepper Spray
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
I've been worried lately about my once pretty safe town getting a more serious criminal element. I don't carry a gun, but have thought of carrying pepper spray. I fear that I might spray myself or spray one thug and another one would attack me.

I was at Sam's with dil the other day and was talking about getting some pepper spray and why.

Later that day on the news there were 5 separate incidences of crimes at a Walmart, Target and three other places.  One guy was accosted in the Target parking lot (caught on tape) while meeting a person from Craigs list to sell his computer. the buyer tried to steal his laptop and then took off running across the parking lot to his girlfriend's getaway car.  :o

Another thing I heard about was criminals that have some device that unlocks your remote on your car. They watch and wait for a person to go inside. Then, thinking that they have at least 15 minutes, they unlock the car and take what they can. the report said to lock your car with your key. I guess this is true. It's pretty scary.

My hairdresser told me today that one of her customers had gone into the local Walmart for a quick trip. When she came out some criminals were stealing her tires!

I fear that crime will become more rampant as people lose their jobs. Most people (I'm guessing are like me)don't carry guns or any protection. We are sitting ducks for the criminals. They know that most people are not armed and take advantage of that.

What do you think?

Would you, do you carry pepper spray or a weapon to defend yourself?

Is crime on the rise where you live?

OKC and the surrounding towns used to have some crime, of course, but it really seems to be rising. Our state made headlines lately for a teenage prostitution ring that was several states wide, but OK was the leader in kidnapping these young girls.

Stephanie in AK

Re: Pepper Spray
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
I have carried pepper spray before but not a gun unless we were hunting.  The thing about it is you have to be close to be effective and the slightest breeze can change the way it blows.  It is NOT fun stuff.

I would carry it but also consider taking a basic self defense class.  Keys are good weapons when carried between your fingers, and I am trying to remember other things.

Crime is going up in a lot of areas.  It is quite unfortunate but true.  Here in Duluth, we have had several gunshot victims, a murder and attempted murder plus an abduction all in the last week or two.  Add the increase in domestic violence, drug crimes and so on and the world gets scarier by the hour.

ldsmom7566

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Working for the PD, I see a lot of areas that have had an increase of crimes, or where none were before, there are now. It is worse during holidays.

Our agency has seen an uptick in getting concealed carry permits.

If you're going to do it, take a conceal carry class, or talk to someone that does, to see if that is a viable option for you.

Pepper spray is difficult to use, if you're not right in front of the person. But, it is doggone effective stuff.

Try to shop in pairs. Try to do it during the daylight hours. This is especially true during holiday season.

Beth

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »
I took a self defense class and they advised against it since if you are close enough to use it then they are close enough to grab it. The 30+ year on the job Police Officer did not recommend it. He said it is usually used on the victim and not the criminal. He did say wasp spray was effective because it can be shot from a good distance. He recommended you keep that on your night stand. Most crimes are of opportunity so taking a self defense class may empower you to not come across as a victim.

We have been very unhappy since we moved to Springfield, IL. We have been burglarized, had packages stolen from off our porch and had things stolen from us at the YMCA. We moved across town but still feel uneasy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:27:43 PM by Beth »

Mrs. Proudie

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
good things to know--

Readbooks

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
Check out Snopes.com because this is an urban myth.  Cars built before the mid 1990s this might have been possible.  Since then, cars have better security.

Another thing I heard about was criminals that have some device that unlocks your remote on your car. They watch and wait for a person to go inside. Then, thinking that they have at least 15 minutes, they unlock the car and take what they can. the report said to lock your car with your key. I guess this is true. It's pretty scary.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.    ~ Louisa May Alcott ~

Stephanie in AK

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
Wasp spray is a good idea but I want to point out that things are different at home.   Someone breaking into our house is going to get a huge dose of reality.  Doesn't matter who is home!! 

tisha

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
I took a gun class. There is a man in our ward that teaches it. My dh, ds and dil took it, too. We took the classroom part, but did not take the shooting part. My dil did not want to do the shooting. Besides, it had been a long day and I was tired by then. Dh said that we'd go back and do the shooting. I would like to complete the course. I know that we should know how to defend ourselves. It's just scary. I've grown up my whole life without a gun.

Good advice about the pepper spray. I wondered if that would even help if I were ever in a situation where I actually needed it. I looked up wasp spray the other day and got mixed reviews about it. Dh got me some pepper spray today at a survival store. It's supposed to also have some chemical that if the suspect is caught, the spray shows up under UV lights.

Ds told me about something he'd heard about on Glenn Beck. It's called 5 Second Survival. I'm not sure how much it costs, but maybe it's worth checking into.

http://5secondsurvival.com/glennbeck-2/

darcy

• Swagbucks Referal
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
There was a local news report today about a guy that is stealing women's purse out of their shopping baskets.  He follows them around the store pretending to shop and when they have their back to the shopping cart, he swipes the purse, hides it in his cart and then leaves.  They have him on security cameras but don't know who he is yet.  The police are suggesting women keep their purse on their shoulder. 

It does seem like crime is spreading into what used to be mostly safe places.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.                    Abraham Lincoln

tisha

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
My older son told me tonight that younger son had $15 stolen out of his backpack at work tonight. This is our trusting son who see the good in everyone. Fine and good, but I hope that he will learn to be kind but cautious after  this life lesson.

Darcy, I was just at the store and kept looking at my purse in the cart thinking that I should be holding on to it. It's hard to fill a bag with apples and hold a purse. I guess I'd better take a shoulder bag next time.

SandraM

• Clearwater Farm
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
My girls carry it.
You can get some that sprays quite a distance now. 
I would like to take a concealed weapons class. I never thought I would but have reconsidered.
I have heard of people getting Taser guns as well.
Sandra

Jeanine

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »
I carried it as a youth and young adult but haven't now for years.  I don't think I would anymore 'cause I really think that some bad guy is going to be much better at getting it from me than I would be at keeping it from him.  I don't really think it would be effective because I don't think I'd be able to hold onto it or have the presence of mind not to spray myself in the face with it by accident.

When I was in college though, at the behest of my then-boyfriend, I took a self-defense for women class that was excellent and I would really recommend doing that.  There were lots of cool little things that I'd never thought of before - like turning my diamond ring around so the diamond is facing in - then it can be used as a scratcher/dna collector.  Might not get you free of an attack but would go quite a long ways towards putting away your attacker later.  Or what they called the 'thumb-gate.'  If someone has you held by the wrist, you flip your hand out between their thumb and forefinger.  Doesn't matter how strong they are, you can almost always get out that way.  Little things like that that I thought were very useful.

Katie

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
I always buy purses with long enough straps that I can wear them across my body. If anyone tired to snatch it they'd have to pull me over first.

I shop only during the day. I am aware of my surroundings at all times. If I see something dangerous I go the other way.

I don't feel comfortable carrying a gun.

Stephanie in AK

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 06:08:10 AM »
My girls carry it.
You can get some that sprays quite a distance now. 
I would like to take a concealed weapons class. I never thought I would but have reconsidered.
I have heard of people getting Taser guns as well.

Some people do get Tasers but you must be careful.  They are not legal for citizens to carry in most states and the fines can be high.  Use it and you can get charged with some serious crimes.

Definitely take the class even if you don't get the license.  or even get the license if you don't carry.  It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

LittleHouse

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
I would take the shooting class. You don't have to carry a gun just because you took the class. But, it might help you get more used to them.

Defending ourselves is important, and one of our freedoms. I think it is important to exercise it, so that we can protect ourselves and our families.

Also, most criminals are deterred if you fight back in the least way. So, even seeing a gun or pepper spray would have them move on. Most are committing small crimes, and frequently, so it is not worth it to them if you seem prepared to fight.

Support our Sponsor: Shop LDFR for all your homeschool needs!

Visit www.LDFR.com
Directions to the store
Latter-day Family Resoures
741 North State Road 198
Salem, UT 84653
801-423-2009

Thank you!

Click below for our

LDS Family School

click here for this great program!

modest swimwear
SwimModest.com